You are invited to the Glengarry Strathspey and Reel Society workshop on Sunday, April 9 from 1:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Alexandria Curling Club, 138 Main St. N, Alexandria, Ontario.
Our guest for the workshop is Ross Davison, a multi-instrumentalist, teacher and performer. Ross began his musical life as a saxophonist and quickly added Highland Bagpipes, Uilleann Bagpipes and Tin Whistle to his arsenal of instruments. As a Highland Bagpiper, Ross currently plays with the Grade 1 Ottawa Police Services Pipes and Drums, a prize-winning ensemble that has secured top placings at piping competitions throughout North America. He has served as Pipe Major of the Glengarry Pipe Band and is a Grade 1 soloist; he competes at the Senior Amateur level in Piobaireachd.
An accomplished Uilleann Piper, Ross has gold medals from the Great Lakes Feis and the Oireachtas Gaeilge Cheanada. With his Uilleann pipes, he will discuss and demonstrate the music possible when the pipes and the fiddle, Scotland’s two popular instruments, are played together.
The tentative program for the afternoon is as follows:
1:30 – Welcome by GS & RS
– Time for tuning
2:00 – Massed fiddlers:
- Bonnie Dundee, The Muckin of Geordie’s Byre and the Pibroch O’ Donald Dhu
- Road to the Isles & Donald Maclean’s Farewell to Oban, Sir Reginald MacDonald
- Donald Joseph & Ann MacPhee’s March, Spring Creek Strathspey, Donaldson MacLeod’s Reel
- Flowers of Edinburgh, Donald Cameron’s Polka, Mrs MacLeod of Raasay
- Harvest Home, The Boys of Bluehill, The Greencastle, The Londonderry
3:00 – Our guest, Ross Davison
4:00 – Massed fiddlers
- Wha Wad’na Fech’d for Charlie, Green Grow the Rashes O’, East Neuk of Fife, Whistle o’er the Lave O’t
- Ye Banks and Braes, Skye Boat Song, Loch Garry Breezes
- And We’re Off to Cape Breton, The Glenelg Road, Buddy and Baby
- The Miller o’ Dervil, The Wedding of the Crows, The Bride’s Reel
- Balkan Hills, My Love is but a Lassie Yet
- Glendaruel Highlanders, Atholl Highlanders
- We’re a Hundred Pipers, My Home, Glengarry My Home
5:00 – Groups and individuals are invited to perform.
There will be a small admission charge of $5.00 to help cover the cost of the afternoon. Students will be admitted free. A light lunch will be served.
We hope that you will join us and we encourage you to extend this invitation to your musical friends.
Sheet music and midi files for all sets can be downloaded below.