This year the Glengarry Highland Games are celebrating their 70th anniversary so get ready to join in the fun with a wealth of fiddling. The dates for this year’s Games are Friday, Aug 4 and Saturday, Aug 5th. Scottish fiddling continues to be a big draw at the Games and your participation is a necessary component to this success.
As in past years, the Glengarry Massed Fiddlers will be one of the main highlights in the Friday concert and on Saturday afternoon at the Fiddlers’ Concert in the air conditioned Arena Hall.
This is your invitation to participate with the massed fiddlers in these events; please see the 2017 Games Letter for the practice dates and tune set lists to prepare for the performances. Throughout the weekend our guest fiddlers, members of the Cape Breton Fiddlers’ Association, will be performing on their own and joining us in the massed fiddle events.
Another highlight of the weekend will be the Youth Fiddlers’ Showcase on Friday afternoon where you can hear some of the great young fiddlers in the area and beyond. If you know any youth who might like to be involved, please let someone on the Committee know.
Please refer to the 2017 Games Letter for the practice schedule and additional details.
We will play the first four sets on Friday night; on Saturday, we will choose from the whole list.
- Bonnie Dundee, The Muckin of Geordie’s Byre and the Pibroch O’ Donald Dhu
- Road to the Isles & Donald Maclean’s Farewell to Oban, Sir Reginald MacDonald
- Donald Joseph & Ann MacPhee’s March, Spring Creek Strathspey, Donaldson MacLeod’s Reel
- Flowers of Edinburgh, Donald Cameron’s Polka, Mrs MacLeod of Raasay
- Harvest Home, The Boys of Bluehill, The Greencastle, The Londonderry
- Wha Wad’na Fech’d for Charlie, Green Grow the Rashes O’, East Neuk of Fife, Whistle o’er the Lave O’t
- Ye Banks and Braes, Skye Boat Song, Loch Garry Breezes
- And We’re Off to Cape Breton, The Glenelg Road, Buddy and Baby
- The Miller o’ Dervil, The Wedding of the Crows, The Bride’s Reel
- Balkan Hills, Lasses of Campbell Street, My Love is but a Lassie Yet
- Glendaruel Highlanders, Atholl Highlanders
- We’re a Hundred Pipers, My Home, Glengarry My Home
Download the tune files and invitation letter below.
GUEST FIDDLER & WORKSHOPS
For more than a generation, the Cape Breton Fiddlers’ Association has been dedicated to preserving and promoting traditional Cape Breton fiddle music. They are the grass roots of Cape Breton’s fiddle tradition and the keepers of the repertoire. Members of the Association include professional and amateur players from Cape Breton Island and abroad. Cape Breton fiddle music is alive and well both on the Island and throughout the world and the Cape Breton Fiddlers’ Association is proud to have played a significant role in this resurgence. The music is non-stop when they get together with their Glengarry counterparts whether here or in Cape Breton.
Doug Leahy, his wife Jennifer and their children are the head liners in this year’s Tattoo and they are our guests on Saturday morning. As part of Leahy, Doug has performed across North America ; however, on Saturday morning, he and his family will be our guests and will conduct a workshop/mini-concert in the air-conditioned Arena Hall. This will take place from 9:30 am to 11:30 am in the Arena Hall. Fiddlers are encouraged to bring their music stands and take part the workshop